Vintage North Bay, Ontario Media & Video
  CFCH Radio
Top 60 Survey
     1964
Nov 1, 1964
  Results
Back Cover
Click an image to enlarge.
 
In 1885 Stewart Huntington started the first Newspaper, " THE NIPISSING TIMES "         which was later changed to  " THE NORTH BAY TIMES ".
                     ( 5 years to the day later, on April 1st 1890, the business was sold to N. Phelps. )

CHNB-TV 4 / CKNY-TV 10
Gerry Alger and Gerry Stanton launched CKGN-TV on December 15, 1955. Operating on channel 10, CKGN was a CBC affiliate and broadcast from studios and transmitter at Callander.

In 1960, CKGN was purchased by the Thomson Group, owner of CFCH-AM 600.

CFCH Radio moved to the TV building in Callander in January 1961.

On January 1, 1962, CKGN-TV became CFCH-TV.

On October 15, 1971, CKNY-TV signed on the air as a CTV affiliate.

CFCH-TV and CKNY-TV became part of Mid-Canada Communications Corp. in 1980. CFCH-TV became CHNB-TV.

Mid-Canada was purchased by Baton Broadcasting Inc. in 1990.

Baton Broadcasting changed its corporate name to CTV, Inc. in 1999 (following Baton's purchase of CTV).

In October 2000, CHNB CTV North Bay added coverage in the Muskoka-Parry Sound region when it took over operation of the channel 11 transmitter at Dwight which had been operated by sister station CKCO-TV Kitchener.

CHUR 100.5
In 1981, The CRTC issued a licence to Gateway City Broadcasters Ltd. for a new AM station at North Bay, operating on 1110 kHz.

Gateway City Broadcasters Ltd. opened CHUR on 840 kHz with 10,000 watts (full-time, DA-2), on September 30, 1984. Studios are at 215 Oak Street East. CHUR broadcasts in stereo.

On March 27, 1985, the CRTC approved the application by Gateway City Broadcasters Ltd., for authority to transfer effective control of the company through the issue of shares from Treasury, representing 75% of the resultant total voting shares, to Mid-Canada (45%) and Richard Donnelly (30%). As a result of this transaction, the shares of Gateway currently held by Harvey Ellis (Sid) Tomkins representing 100% of the total vote will be diluted to 25% of that total, and the ownership structure of Gateway will be such that no single shareholder will have clear-cut control. Gateway's application is based on the urgent need for financial restructuring and additional shareholder investment in order to establish the North Bay station. The Commission also approved a change of frequency for CHUR from 1110 to 840 kHz. As a result of this frequency change, the daytime coverage of CHUR will improve significantly to the east, west and south of the present service area. In addition, the licensee will be able to extend service to Sturgeon Falls which it considers as a "natural extension of the North Bay market."

On April 21, 1986, the CRTC approved the sale of  CHUR from Gateway City Broadcasters Limited to CHUR-AM Radio North Bay, a general partnership. The Commission notes that the application does not involve a change of effective control but rather the issuance of a new licence to a general partnership comprising all investors previously holding shares in Gateway City Broadcasters Limited. Control continues to be shared equally by the three partners. This transaction will provide the funds necessary to cover the operating shortfall during the company's startup period.

On January 3,1990, the CRTC approved the corporate reorganization of the group of companies owned and controlled by Northern Cable Services Limited. The purpose of this major corporate reorganization is to segregate the radio operations of Northern Services' subsidiary company, Mid-Canada Communications (Canada) Corp. and its subsidiary company CKCY 920 Limited, into Ottawa Valley Broadcasting Company Limited in order to facilitate the sale of Mid-Canada's television operations and OVB's radio stations through separate transfers which will be subject to prior approval by the Commission. The Commission's approval of the applications will result in the transfer of all of the radio assets held by Mid-Canada and all the shares of its wholly-owned subsidiary CKCY 920 Limited, to OVB along with the 45% partnership interest of CHUR-AM Radio General Partnership of North Bay now held by Mid-Canada. OVB will amalgamate with CKCY 920 Limited, under the name "Ottawa Valley Broadcasting Company Limited". The applications are by OVB for approval to acquire the assets of radio stations CHNO, CFBR and CJMX-FM Sudbury, CKNS Espanola, CKNR Elliot Lake, CFCL Timmins, CFLH Hearst, CFLK Kapuskasing, CJNR Blind River and CKAP Kapuskasing from Mid-Canada; and for CKCY 920 Limited (CKCY and CJQM-FM Sault Ste. Marie and CJWA Wawa) to transfer all the issued and outstanding shares from Mid-Canada to OVB; and by OVB to acquire the 45% partnership interest of the CHUR-AM Radio General Partnership now held by Mid-Canada.

On June 26, 1990, the CRTC approved the sale of CHUR to  Mid-Canada Communications (Canada) Corp., representing a company to be incorporated, from CHUR-AM Radio General Partnership. The Commission notes that this transaction will not result in any change in control of CHUR. Mid-Canada Radio Inc., which currently holds 45% interest in the existing partnership structure of CHUR North Bay, will hold 45% of the shares in the company to be incorporated, with two local residents holding the balance of the shares.

On July 26, 1990, the CRTC approved the sale of Mid-Canada Radio Inc. by Northern Cable Holdings Limited to Pelmorex Broadcasting Inc. Mid-Canada is a company formed from the amalgamation of CKCY 920 Ltd. with The Ottawa Valley Broadcasting Company Limited in January 1990. It is licensee of the 14 following radio stations in northeastern Ontario: CHRO Pembroke, CJNR Blind River, CKNR Elliot Lake, CKNS Espanola, CKAP and CFLK Kapuskasing, CHNO, CFBR and CJMX-FM Sudbury, CFCL Timmins, CFLH Hearst, CKCY and CJQM-FM Sault Ste. Marie and CJWA Wawa. Mid-Canada is also a 45% shareholder in a proposed new company that, once incorporated, will become the licensee of CHUR North Bay. Purchase price is approximately $6 million, subject to adjustments.

On December 21, 1990, the CRTC approved the transfer effective control of 909664 Ontario Ltd. (gazetted as CHUR Holdco), through the transfer of 25 common voting shares (25%) from Sid Tomkins and 30 common voting shares (30%) from Richard Donnelly to Pelmorex Broadcasting Inc., an existing shareholder. Pelmorex currently holds 45% of the common voting shares of 909664 and, as a result of this transaction, will effectively control the licensee company. Pelmorex, which is ultimately controlled by Pierre Morrissette, directly or indirectly through its wholly-owned subsidiary Ottawa Valley Radio Ltd., operates 16 radio stations in Ontario. The purchase price for the shares is $776,800.

On September 29, 1994, the Commission approves the application by Pelmorex Communications Inc. (Pelmorex) for a broadcasting licence for an English-language (Group I) FM radio programming undertaking at North Bay, on the frequency 100.5 MHz, channel 263C, with an effective radiated power of 100,000 watts. Upon implementation of the FM station, Pelmorex will convert the current "oldies" format of CHUR to a Group I (Pop, Rock, and Dance) format. Pelmorex will also broadcast 30 minutes per week of French-language programming.  According to Pelmorex, the proposed FM station will provide a more reliable and better quality signal, and also extend coverage to the entire North Bay and Nipissing market. The licensee also expects that the change in programming format, and the improved quality and greater range of the FM signal, will reverse current market erosion and repatriate listeners tuning to out-of-market stations. The Commission acknowledges the intervention submitted the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation concerning the proposed use of channel 263C by Pelmorex, indicating that it would conflict with the CBC's Long Range Radio Plan, which envisages the use of channel 263A for a future FM stereo service in Ville-Marie, Quebec. The Commission, however, is satisfied with the reply submitted by Pelmorex's engineering consultant, in which a suitable alternative channel 267A, has been indentified and approved by DIST for future assignment at Ville-Marie.

On April 7, 1995, the Commission approves the applications for authority to acquire the assets of CKNR Elliot Lake and its transmitter CJNR Blind River, CKNS Espanola, CHYK and CKAP Kapuskasing, CHUR North Bay, CHVR Pembroke, CHVR-1 Renfrew and its transmitter CHVR-2 Arnprior, CJQM Sault Ste. Marie, CHNO, CHYC and CJMX-FM Sudbury, CKOY Timmins and its transmitter CHOH Hearst, and CJWA Wawa, from Pelmorex Broadcasting Inc., and for broadcasting licences to continue the operation of these undertakings.  The Commission will issue licences to Pelmorex Radio Inc., expiring 31 August 1996 for CJMX-FM, 31 August 1997 for CJQM and CHYK, and 31 August 1999 for CKNR and CJNR, CKNS, CKAP, CHUR, CHVR, CHVR-1 and CHVR-2, CHNO, CHYC, CKOY and CHOH, and CJWA, the current expiry dates, upon surrender of the current licences. The licences will be subject to the same conditions as those in effect under the current licences, as well as to any other condition specified in the licences to be issued.  In approving these applications, the Commission has taken into account the fact that Pelmorex Radio Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pelmorex Inc. which is controlled by Pelmorex Management Inc. and that the transaction thus represents an intracorporate reorganization without any change occurring in the control, programming or management of the licensee.

In 1995, CHUR entered a local management agreement with CFCH-CKAT and moved its studios and offices into the CFCH-CKAT building.

In January 1996, CHUR moved back to its own building and left the LMA with Telemedia.

In 1997, CHUR moved to 100.5 MHz with 100,000 watts ERP.

On February 17, 1999, the Commission approved the purchase by Telemedia Communications Inc. of CHUR-FM North Bay, CHVR-FM Pembroke, CJQM-FM Sault Ste. Marie and CJMX-FM Sudbury from Pelmorex Radio Inc. Through these acquisitions, Telemedia will become the sole commercial radio licensee in both North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie by owning all three of each city's commercial radio stations. In Sudbury, it will hold three of the five licences. Pembroke is a single-station market. The total purchase price relating to this transaction is estimated to be $8,030,000 at the closing date. This total represents the sum of $7 million, plus the estimated value of accounts receivable and the value of expenses prepaid by Pelmorex.

On July 29, 1999, the CRTC  approved the purchase of CKFX, CHUR and CKAT from Telemedia Communications Inc. to Telemedia Radio Inc.

On April 19, 2002, the CRTC approved the purchase of several radio and television stations by Standard Radio Inc. from Telemedia Radio Inc. and its subsidiary Telemedia Radio (West) Inc., located in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. Standard agreed to sell some of these stations to Rogers Broadcasting and to NewCap Broadcasting. The total value of the transaction is $385.4 million. This amount includes $369.6 million for the radio undertakings and $15.8 million for two television stations. After selling 14 of the former Telemedia radio stations to RBL and 15 stations to 3937844 for a combined total of $139.3 million, the value of the transaction for the former Telemedia radio stations retained by Standard is $230.3 million. The three North Bay stations were among those sold to Rogers.

CKAT 600
CFCH started out in Iriquois Falls on 400 metres with 250 watts power, owned by Abitibi Power & Paper Co., in 1922.

CFCH moved to 600 kHz in 1925. Power remains 250 watts.

In 1930, Roy Thomson approached Abitibi for their unused radio licence. He gave Abitibi one dollar to rent the licence for one year. If after the year, Abitibi did not approach Thomson for return of the licence, it would be his for good. Abitibi had used the station as a link to its lumber camps. When the company got a phone link, the radio station was no longer needed. CFCH is now operating with 50 watts on 1200 kHz.

On March 3, 1931, CFCH began operating on 930 kHz with 50 watts from studios and transmitter at the Capital Theatre Building on Main Street. Roy Thomson had moved the station from Iriquois Falls to North Bay. The result: CFCH was the first commercial radio station in Northern Ontario.

In 1932, power increased to 100 watts.

Studios and offices moved to a larger building on Main Street in 1937.

On March 29, 1941, CFCH switched from 930 to 1230 kHz.

In 1942, CFCH returned to 600 kHz.Power is now 1,000 watts.

In 1945, studios moved to a location at Fraser and First Streets.

1947 Engineering brief: CFCH 600 kHz 1,000 watts (full-time, DA-1), two 206 foot (overall height) towers at 46-13-30 79-24-19.

1947 Listing: CBC Trans-Canada affiliate. Started: March 1, 1931. Roy H. Thomson, 134 Main Street. Transmitter: West Ferris Township. Schedule: 6:45 a.m. to 12:10 a.m.

1954 Licence: Northern Broadcasting Ltd., transmitter: part of Lot 36, Concession 14, West Ferris Township (46-15-49 79-24-53), studios: 587 Fraser Street.

1957 Listing: CFCH 600 kHz 1,000 watts (full-time, DA-1) CBC Trans-Canada affiliate. Northern Broadcasting Ltd. (Mrs P.A. Campbell 91.45%, C.N. Thomson 8.31%, S.F. Chapman 0.22%, C.E. Campbell 0.01%, K. Packer 0.01%).

1959 Engineering brief: CFCH 600 kHz 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night (full-time, DA-2), three 305 foot towers (overall height) located 1/4 mile from Lake Nipissing (46-10-45 79-28-00).

In 1959, CFCH increased power to10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night (full-time), three 305 foot towers (overall height) were located 1/4 mile from Lake Nipissing.

In the summer of 1960, Northern purchased CKGN-TV in North Bay. The radio and TV stations moved to combined facilities in Callander in the fall. CFCH maintained supplementary studios downtown at 581 Fraser St.

1961 Licence: Northern Broadcasting Ltd., CFCH 600 kHz 10,000 watts day and 5,000 night, transmitter: part of Lots 23 and 24, Concession 25, North Bimsworth Township (46-10-45 79-28-00).

In October 1966, CFCH was given permission to change its daytime pattern.

In 1972, approval was given for CFCH to move its studios from Burford Hill in Callander to 743 Main Street East in North Bay.

Jack Schoone, J. Irving Zucker and Robert Ancell purchased Northern Broadcasting from the Thomson family in 1974.

In 1980, Schoone & Zucker sold Northern Broadcasting to Telemedia Communications Inc.

On March 11, 1996, CFCH moved from an adult contemporary/oldies format to news-talk.

On August 12, 1996, the station went from news-talk to country as CKAT. The format and call letters came from the sister FM station. CKAT-FM became CKFX.

On February 16, 1988, the CRTC approved the applications by Telemedia Communications Ontario Inc. to acquire the assets of the Ontario-based radio undertakings and for licences to continue the operation of these undertakings upon surrender of the current licences issued to its parent company, Telemedia Communications Inc. (TCI), under the same terms and conditions as the current licences. The Commission has taken into consideration the fact that these transactions involve no change whatsoever in the effective control of the licensee companies but rather represent an intercorporate reorganization. Moreover, as a result of the transactions, all of the TCI radio holdings in Ontario will be licensed to TCOI, while TCI will remain the licensee of its radio operations in Quebec.

On July 29, 1999, the CRTC  approved the purchase of CKFX, CHUR and CKAT from Telemedia Communications Inc. to Telemedia Radio Inc.

On April 19, 2002, the CRTC approved the purchase of several radio and television stations by Standard Radio Inc. from Telemedia Radio Inc. and its subsidiary Telemedia Radio (West) Inc., located in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. Standard agreed to sell some of these stations to Rogers Broadcasting and to NewCap Broadcasting. The total value of the transaction is $385.4 million. This amount includes $369.6 million for the radio undertakings and $15.8 million for two television stations. After selling 14 of the former Telemedia radio stations to RBL and 15 stations to 3937844 for a combined total of $139.3 million, the value of the transaction for the former Telemedia radio stations retained by Standard is $230.3 million. The three North Bay stations were among those sold to Rogers.

CKFX 101.9
CKAT-FM signed on the air January 19, 1967.

On February 16, 1988, the CRTC approved the applications by Telemedia Communications Ontario Inc. to acquire the assets of the Ontario-based radio undertakings and for licences to continue the operation of these undertakings upon surrender of the current licences issued to its parent company, Telemedia Communications Inc. (TCI), under the same terms and conditions as the current licences. The Commission has taken into consideration the fact that these transactions involve no change whatsoever in the effective control of the licensee companies but rather represent an intercorporate reorganization. Moreover, as a result of the transactions, all of the TCI radio holdings in Ontario will be licensed to TCOI, while TCI will remain the licensee of its radio operations in Quebec.

On July 29, 1999, the CRTC approved the purchase of CKFX, CHUR and CKAT from Telemedia Communications Inc. to Telemedia Radio Inc.

On April 19, 2002, the CRTC approved the purchase of several radio and television stations by Standard Radio Inc. from Telemedia Radio Inc. and its subsidiary Telemedia Radio (West) Inc., located in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. Standard agreed to sell some of these stations to Rogers Broadcasting and to NewCap Broadcasting. The total value of the transaction is $385.4 million. This amount includes $369.6 million for the radio undertakings and $15.8 million for two television stations. After selling 14 of the former Telemedia radio stations to RBL and 15 stations to 3937844 for a combined total of $139.3 million, the value of the transaction for the former Telemedia radio stations retained by Standard is $230.3 million. The three North Bay stations were among those sold to Rogers.

Courtesy of Bill Dulmage Radio & Television Archive
www.billdulmage.com
©  2004-2017 NorthBayHeartbeat.com  All Rights Reserved.
links to Vintage Video of North Bay...
Old Local Television Commercials ...
Norad Bunker (4min.)
1947 magazine ad
CFCH North Bay radio
CFCH
Do you have any North Bay "Media History" you would like to share ?
vintage MCTV pinback
CKGN's "Northern Welcome"
aired 7pm during the summer.
From the CKGN General Managers desk. Cec Hewitt
CKGN Studio
CKGN Station in
Callander 1956
CKGN TV Control Room 1956
Set of "Northern Welcome" 1956
CKGN TV Sign (Callander)
1957
CKGN TV Set 1956
CKGN TV camera 1956
All of the above vintage CKGN photo's
are courtesy of Sister Cecily Hewitt.